Sheriff Tommy Jones has announced the appointment of Chris C. White to Chief Deputy of the Monroe County Sheriff's Office. White has been serving as Patrol Captain since 2014. He previously served the department for five years, in positions as a patrolman, patrol sergeant and detective.
The role of Chief Deputy is to assist the County Sheriff, providing direction to the department in fulfilling its mission to protect and serve the citizens of Monroe County. Chief Deputy is directly responsible for supervision of captains, division supervisors and the jail administrator.
White has received numerous certificates and awards in many aspects of law enforcement throughout his career. He started in law enforcement in 1993, after graduating from the Police Academy at Cleveland State College. He served in the Vonore City Police Department for 2 years, followed by five years with the Monroe County Sheriff's Office, where he served in various roles. In 2005, White became a Loudon County School Resource Officer. He also held positions as Narcotics Investigator and Criminal Investigator, then moved to the 9th Judicial District Attorney's Office where he served for two years.
The Chief Deputy assumes the duties of the County Sheriff in his absence. Other responsibilities include:
* Oversee operational aspects of the Monroe County Sheriff's Office
* Review crime reports. Sign formal criminal complaints
* Perform supervisory duties including, but not limited to, training, scheduling of personnel, interviewing, conducting performance evaluations and recommending disciplinary action
* Respond to emergency calls and provide back up
* Perform emergency first aid when needed
* Develop and maintain respectful and cooperative working relationships
Chris White's selection by Sheriff Tommy Jones to serve as Chief Deputy is a reflection of White's dedication to the office and the communities served. "As Chief Deputy, I look forward to continuing current programs, while implementing change to make programs run more smoothly. I will also build upon the foundation of community programs which Sheriff Jones has established, such as the firewood for the elderly and Citizens Academy," stated White in accepting his new position.
For more info and a video, visit the "About Us" page on our website